Red Lantern Lodge is the very essence of the Smokies. This three-bedroom / 2.5-bath cabin has all you expect in a modern cabin from front porch rockers with a breathtaking mountain view, to gas fireplaces and a hot tub. This cabin is an authentic, hand-crafted, log home constructed from huge, dead-standing timbers, and the site is perched on the side of a wooded mountain affording seclusion and tranquility, yet ultra-convenient to the town of Sylva and to most popular area attractions.You feel the spirit of the woods in the deeply seasoned, golden tones of the logs, many accented with real scars of lightening strikes and natural character-growth patterns.
At the home, there's plenty to enjoy from the the lower level rec room with pool table and board games, to family time around the huge stone fireplace with gas-logs, to many seasonal activities such as picking apples from the on-site tree to watch the NFL Game Day subscription on the DirecTV account.
The primary loft bedroom has a king bed, private bath, and a gas fireplace in addition to a spacious sitting area and private outdoor, covered lookout porch.
On the main floor, you will find another bedroom with a king bed and direct access to the main bathroom.
The third bedroom is downstairs with a twin over queen bunk bed along with a second queen bed, so everyone can sleep comfortably.
This three-level cabin design allows privacy for everyone and is located in the middle of where great family memories are made near the Western North Carolina towns of Sylva, Cherokee, and Bryson City. Since this property is about 20 miles east of Bryson City (Watershed's home town), it is actually one of our closest properties to Asheville or to the the Cataloochee Ski area in Maggie Valley!. Western Carolina University is in nearby Cullowhee, and you are also within reach of Highlands, Franklin, Waynesville, and even Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge.Whether you come just to relax sitting in front of a warm fire or in a soothing hot tub under the stars, or you head out exploring nearby hikes, whitewater rafting, and sightseeing, Red Lantern Lodge is the perfect base camp for all groups, even our friends on motorcycles (the access to Red Lantern Lodge is mostly paved, including the final and fairly steep section of drive leading up to the large parking area. There is a short area where there is very well-packed and level gravel, but motorcyclists have had no problems accessing this property... there's even a small section of the parking that is covered).
Some of the area attractions our guests enjoy the most are listed here:
- Western Carolina University - We’ve had quite a few guests visit and return for WCU events such as home football games, homecoming, graduation, new student orientation, parents' weekend and campus visits with high school seniors
- Sylva courthouse - this beautiful and historic building is an anchor attraction to Sylva's Main Street.
- Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts - check out their extensive lineup at SmokyMountainArts.com
- Christmas at Biltmore - this year-round attraction is even more beautiful at Christmas
- Maggie Valley - the Waynesville/Maggie Valley combination is a nice alternative to Bryson City and Cherokee for more small-town charm
- Tubing/Skiing - the Cataloochee Ski area is only 30 minutes away
- Christmas Tree Farms - make family memories by picking and cutting your favorite tree at one of the many local tree farms
- Cherokee - explore authentic Native American culture or enjoy the many feature at Harrah's Cherokee Casino